Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A year in review

As the year is coming to an end its hard to believe that we have already been here for four months. Since this will be my last blog for a while (I don’t know if I will be able to blog in New Zealand.)  I decided I would do a recap on my time on the island. This morning while I was riding on the bus I was thinking about experience. Experience is when you step outside your comfort zone and try something new. I crave new experiences and adventures. I love being uncomfortable in new situations and seeing how much I grow from the particular experience. Living on this island has not always been easy. When looking at the pictures you see the beauty of this island but that’s just scratching the surface of what my life has been like.

Have you ever heard the saying, “ The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.” I remember for the longest time that I had always wanted to live near the ocean. I had always wanted to live in a tropical climate where I would never have to deal with the snow and the bitter cold winters. As I am face timing with my family I start to become jealous because I see them wearing winter clothes all bundled up because of how cold it is. They often tell me how cold it is outside and I find it hard to believe. When chatting with them I tell them about the heat. I have never lived in heat like this for so long. I feel like I am constantly wiping sweat off of my face. I feel like I can never really cool off. The thought of even putting a sweatshirt makes me sweat a little more. I noticed that I was starting to complain about the things that really is not that important.

Experience. I have experienced so many crazy things over the past four months. I killed off rats that decided they wanted to live in our house. Virginia and I had a rat run between our legs and now we just laugh about how much it scared us. Now when I see cockroaches it doesn’t even phase me. I have gotten to play my favorite sport everyday after school with the locals. We are slowly learning the language and embracing the fact that everyone is going to laugh at us when we try and pronounce the word. We have gained a new appreciation for the convenience of everything in the states. Lastly, our students have pushed us to the limits but we still love them and can’t imagine the fact that will have to be leaving them in the upcoming months.

I want to wish everyone back home a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year! I miss you all can’t wait to see everyone when I come back in June! J




No comments:

Post a Comment