Tuesday, April 4, 2017

We made it through March

The whole time that I have been here the month of March looked very daunting. To start it off March is a long month and secondly we not a single break. Every time I looked at the calendar I would dread getting through the month of March. At the beginning of the month Dana and I decided that we needed to make the most of this month. Keeping us busy and not looking at the calendar thinking about how slow it will go by. To say the least March flew by and now I am kind of sad about. So I am going to list some big things that happened in our month of March.
            I booked my plane ticket home! The most bittersweet moment I have yet to face. I have truly fallen in love with this place and I am not ready to say goodbye to all my friends and students. I booked my flight for June 14. I have two overnight flights and two full days of traveling. I may be slightly dead when I arrive home but I just want to get the flying over with so I am doing all the traveling in one shot. So if you happen to see me soon after that date I may be half dead due to traveling and time change. I am soooooooooooo excited to see everyone. Lately I have been dreaming about home and it gets a little excited to see everyone.
            After booking my flight home I also officially applied to be a contract teacher! I just love this country too much to be completely ready to goodbye to it. The thing with American Samoa is nothing is done in a real timely manner. So I am not sure when I will know if I get accepted. It’s a very complicated process that I don’t even completely understand. All I know is that last year when a world teacher applied to be a contract teacher she didn’t know she got accepted until two days before her flight left. So I guess I will play the waiting game and hopefully I will know sooner!
            Cricket. We have spent our weekends at cricket matches for the month of March. It was fun to go out and watch the games and hang out with the locals. The last game Dana and I got slightly distracted because we had babies right next to us the whole game. I am not going to complain about that one. Cricket games were also filled with packed buses with our students sitting on laps trying to get everyone crammed onto the bus. The last cricket game we went to we left at 5 in the morning and sat through a four-hour game. It was quite the experience and I was really tired after the game!
            Ever since my parents left we have started the tradition of having “family” meals on Sunday after church. At home our family always we have a big meal after Sunday church and I really missed doing that. I had mentioned that to Lusi and Dana so I started making chicken and potatoes every Sunday for them. I may not be able to eat chicken and potatoes again after this year. Lusi also brings us all different kinds of Samoan food and I am starting to get cravings for certain foods. I also tried banana pie this month. If you have never had it you should try it sometime it is really good!
            Lastly we said tofah to Joe. Joe was one of our good friends on island. He spent a lot of time with us since we arrived on island. He moved to the states to go live with his brother and get a job. It has been quite entertaining listening to his comments about the states because he has never been off island until now. He called the other day and said that everywhere he looks he just sees buildings. He also went to Chuck- E-Cheese and said that it was not that great. Lots of kids and screaming!
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment