Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Rain and cooler temps

Every since Sunday morning it has cooled way off and rained everyday since. On Monday morning it was almost stormy. Thunderstorms out here are completely different then the thunderstorms that we experience in the states. It thunders like four times and maybe lightening’s once. My students were very concerned and kept asking if I was scared and I was like no this doesn’t scare me but if we get an earthquake then you will see me get scared. I was telling them that we get thunderstorms way worse in the states. The abundance of rain has also brought cooler temperatures. First off everyone back home who is reading this might think I am crazy for saying this but it was chilly this week. The temps have been in the low 80’s. One day during class a big gust of wind blew through the classroom and everyone crossed their arms and was like that is cold. It was chilly I am not going to lie. This scares me for when I come home because if I think low 80’s is cold I am going to be in for a rude awakening.

We have started to have our own little crew that we hang out with every night. We all go outside to the Wharf around like 8:30 and just chill and talk. Last night we decided to go for a little walk. While we were walking it started to rain. So we were running around trying to find over hangs on houses to sit under. I just remember at one point we were running in a line just looking for somewhere to stand under. We would literally run house from house and every time it stopped raining we go to a different house. At one point I remember looking behind me into the house and guy was sleeping and I was like oh my we should let him sleep. The local go, “Oh no, just say hi this happens all the time.”

This week at school one of my students was reading a book about all different types of animals. He kept asking me if I had ever seen most of these animals. I was like sure I have seen a lot of these animals. I told them that I have gone to the zoo a couple of times and that is where I have seen them. After I had made that comment I got to thinking about that. My students have never been to a zoo before. They don’t have any zoos in American Samoa so they have never been to one. This seems really crazy for me because I have been to the zoo multiple times and a lot kids that go to school in the states at some point get the opportunity to go to the zoo. I told me kids if I had the chance to take the to a zoo I would love to take them there for the day.

This week we have just reached our three-month mark in America Samoa. First of all I can’t believe that we have been living here for that long already. We can really tell that we are getting accustomed to everything here. We spend at least four days a week in the water just trying to cool off. Whenever we go outside to just sit and hangout we have to have music playing. We also almost know the names of everyone and understand whom they are talking about when they say their Samoan name!

With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment