Monday, December 17, 2018

Weekend Vibes

On Friday I came home from school with quite the stomachache, which eventually came to be the flu. Yes, we still get the flu around here. So I spent most of my week in bed watching endless amounts of T.V. shows to kill the time. On Sunday I was finally feeling better so I went to our Christmas dance practice. After practice for three hours in the middle of the day I was wiped. I went home and ran to turn the air conditioning on. To try and cool off from being inside the church in the peak heat of the day. After making a quick supper I was laying down to begin a Christmas movie for the night. My room was the perfect temperature it was cold enough were I could lay under a fleece blanket and not be hot.
            As the movie was rolling along the sound of a dying air conditioner filled the room. This is not the sound we like to here in Samoa. This means the power is going out. The power goes out about once month my first year is seemed to happen more frequently but not as much anymore. Luckily, I had turned the air on earlier so my game plan was to stay in the room as long as possible and not let the cold air out. After about 20 minutes all cold air that was once filling the room was gone. It was time to open up the windows and hope for a breeze. No such luck. There was not a breeze to be found. In Minnesota at night the temperature seems to drop drastically at night. In Samoa the temperature doesn’t really change from night to do, which means it can get pretty toasty at night with out a fan or A.C. After about an hour of no power my computer was on the verge of dying and my phone was near dead.
            Our generation depends a lot of their life on the phone and mine was about to be dead for the night. It was only 8:30 but with no technology or anything else to do in the dark I was about to sleep except for the slight problem that I was very hot. I thought it looked so cool outside because it was pitch black and no lights. Lusi not so much he said he had never seen it so dark before. Wait till he comes to Minnesota at night. After digging around the house I finally found two hand fans. The problem with hand fanning is your arm gets rather tired. We were now pushing around two hours with no power. I finally took a melatonin to put me to sleep for the night. Then slow sound of the air conditioning coming back to life filled the room. I almost jumped out of bed in excitement. It took me about an hour after that to actually fall asleep. Oops. Sometimes I take things for granted in life. Living here sometimes shows me that we don’t need material possessions to be happy. Sometimes we care too much about having the latest and greatest. We need to be thinking about what we actually need instead of what we want.
With Love,

Abby  

No comments:

Post a Comment