Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Welcome December

I can’t believe it is already December. This time of year always seems to fly by for me. It also never feels like Christmas around here one because it never gets cold and snows. The only thing they do somewhat like Christmas here is put up Christmas lights all over the main island. Sadly, we can’t see the lights because we are not going to be on the main island at night. Next Christmas is going to be so weird actually seeing snow and Christmas trees.
            This time in the school year is always rough on a teacher. The kids have about an ounce of motivation to actually do school work. They know that they are getting a break from school in a couple of weeks and they just don’t want to do any work. We are currently working on our times table. They are having a really hard time with those. Let me tell you I am getting really really really fast at my times table.
            This Monday was one for the books. Since Saturday morning we have pretty much had a constant down pour since Saturday. When it rains a lot the village really start to flood. When I woke up on Monday morning it was rainy cats and dogs. I was completely dreading my walk to school. It always makes me super nervous walking to school when it’s raining and I have to take my laptop. I usually wrap it in a plastic bag inside of my backpack. When I got to school around 6:30 usually half my class is waiting outside the door for me to get there. On Monday there was not a single kid at school. Around 7:00 students started walking to school in the downpour. I was the only teacher who got school and so all the kids were trying to come in my room to avoid the rain. By 7:30 when our first bell is supposed to ring I had 15 students out of the usual 101 in my classroom. No teachers, no principal, and no one telling me what is going on. Around 8:00 teachers finally start coming to school. By 8:45 they finally decided to ring the first bell. What a way to start your Monday. About half the school showed up that day due to the rain. Turns out kids don’t like coming to school when it’s raining.
            This week we have a big teacher carnival on the main island. Its for teachers only I am interested to see what it is like. Apparently for every teacher who just attends the carnival they get a stipend of 30 dollars. This is the only way that they can motivate teachers to show up to these events.
            This week is also my finals week for my online class. I am currently typing out lots of papers. Can’t wait for my Christmas break from online classes! I feel like I am always doing homework.
            With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment