Saturday, April 13, 2019

Earthquakkke

Our school is doing its annual test for tsunami warnings this past week. I spent time explaining to them that they cannot run home and need to run towards my house to be safe. As a teacher here my biggest fear is that we will go into a tsunami warning in the middle of the school. Due to the fact that I am very scared of one.
            Well in the very wee hours of Friday morning I had a close call with one of these situations. I woke up to Lusi saying my name repeatedly. Thinking that he was waking me up because I was late for work. As my bed was shaking I figured he was trying to shake me awake. When I realized he was on the other side of the room on his bed. Earthhhquake he goes. Just seconds ago I was a deep sleep and the panic hit me. Oh my gosh its happening. My biggest fear of living on this island is actually happening to me. We soon go to wake up other people in his family. Debating if we should run up the mountain. We were standing outside listening to the sound of the ocean. I was completely freaked for awhile. This was the first time that I had actually felt an earthquake. Soon we were all over the internet looking for a warning and trying to listen for an alarm. After a half hour back to bed we went.
            The next morning we found out that the earthquake was over 400 miles from where I live. Which is why we were not put into a warning. Thank goodness. I was talking to Lusi about it after and asking him about why he didn’t run up the mountain. He said that since it didn’t last long and didn’t feel as strong as some in the past. He also noted that if he didn’t hear an alarm but felt that it was strong and long we would have been high tailing it up and not relying on the alarm system. Pleasantly freaked out for a couple hours but extremely grateful it didn’t happen during school hours. The one thing my students do not need to see is a teacher freaked out. It would only make matters worse for all of us.
            With Love,

            Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment