Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Rain Rain Rain

The power of an umbrella. Before moving to American Samoa I had never ever owned an umbrella. I found no use in having one. I always would make fun of people who would use an umbrella to go to classes in college. I would always just make a run for it, it wasn’t that far. My college also had underground tunnels so I would rarely have to go outside. How the tables have turned. My first year of being here I was too cheap to buy an umbrella. I would just keep a close on the weather and wait it out. After one of my roommates thousand dollar laptop got wet in the rain I changed my mind and purchased an umbrella.

Let me tell you I sure do love my umbrella. I have about a half-mile walk from school to home that I do everyday. The school bus cannot make it up the mountain so I have no choice but to walk even when it’s raining. Well these past couple of days it has been raining more than it has not been raining. So I have been heavily relying on my little umbrella. I think it’s kind of amazing how this small little umbrella can pretty much protect me from the rain even when it is raining cats and dogs outside. I also think it is kind of fun to walk in the rain with the umbrella. The only thing is I get just a touch nervous when its really raining because if my umbrella fails my poor laptop.

On Monday I had to spend my day in town instead of going to school. The principal and I are the only two people at the school who own cars on the main island. When we have events at school they always go to town to order food for the event. No Samoan event is complete without food being present. So sometimes I get asked to go to town and someone will take over my class while I pick up food and supplies for the event. While on my food picking process on Monday. It was usually busy in town for a non-pay week. As we got closer I could see the tents and decorated buses. It was cruise ship day. The one-day on island where I don’t feel like the minority. Most of these cruise ships are filled with old retired people. While my parents were here last year we actually had a cruise ship. Dad and I got our picture taken from some worker on the ship. He told us we could purchase the video with our picture on it at the end of the cruise. Jokes on him because we weren’t even on the cruise.

When I got home I came across an article on Facebook talking about the particular cruise that was in town. The cruise had departed from Honolulu. Let me tell you that has to be one long cruise ship. The ship was than making its way back to L.A. Now just to put into a little perspective for you L.A. to American Samoa is 4,768 miles. Honolulu to American Samoa is 2,558 miles. Now it sure takes a long time to travel that on a plane if you ask me. I can only imagine how long that would last being on a cruise ship. I am quite curious as to where the ship all went. It was a Queen Emerald. Might have to do some research later. I heard to go on a cruise all the way here it is like 14,000 a person….. That’s a lot of money…
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment