Sunday, November 4, 2018

Post Halloween

Halloween was a busy sugar filled day! My students actually did most of their work through the morning knowing that we would soon be watching a movie later in the day. After giving them like a weeks worth of cake they sat and watched the a movie! They love to watch movies and quite honestly movies save me sometimes. Especially when I am not feeling well at the end of the day I will quick pop a movie in because the kids just sit and be quiet for the most part. Not my best teaching moments but I figure after spending a solid five hours doing work they deserve some kind of break. We also do not have recess here, which can sometimes drive me crazy. My students get so restless some days and I can understand why because they have literally been sitting all day long.
This weekend I went over to the main island on Friday night to hang out with one of my old friends on island Kate. Kate was the very first person that I met when starting this journey as a world teacher. I can still remember the day we met very clearly. We were due to fly into LAX at the same exact time. All of the World Teachers had to meet at LAX to spend the night in a hotel before we all jumped on the same plane to Hawaii to Samoa. The day everyone was flying we tried to find someone who flew in around the same time so we could find the shuttle and go to the hotel together. Well Kate and I both had very little experience with the LAX airport at this time. We decided we would meet at the baggage claim. (Even thinking about this now it makes me laugh). So we are texting each other that I am at this baggage claim which number are you at? We then decide to pick a number and meet there. She then text me where are you? And I respond sitting on the bench. After sitting for like ten minutes we finally decided to share our locations. We were at opposite ends of the airport in different terminals. So we decided to meet in the middle where the shuttles are. Leaving our locations on to make sure we meet up. We are trying to figure out a way to identify each other because we have never met. I simply told her to look for a girl with a lot of luggage who is struggling hard core. I had two fifty-pound bags, a rolling carry on, and a backpack. Walking across this airport was a real struggle. I remember stopping like ten times. And remembering vaguely reading in pamphlet only bring luggage that you will be able to carry six blocks up a hill.. (Thinking oh this is going to be fun when we get to Samoa).  We finally see each other both barely moving due to the weight of our bags. We jumped on the shuttle and headed to our hotel. We spent the rest of our time telling where we are from and everything else.. We became really good friends!
To this day we are still really good friends that rarely see each other. We always joke about the fact that if someone would have told us we were both going to stay for three years we would have laughed and said no. I always like to hang out with her so we can catch up on our island life and joke about things that have happened to us. She also has a roommate Taylor who is a past World Teacher from last year. We spent all of Friday exchanging stories and talking about interesting things that happen here. It was nice to hang out with some “white” friends. They understand my perspective of the island the best.
This week is observations at school pray that all goes well for me!
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment