Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Island Life

After exploring the main island for the first couple of days it was time to head to my small little island with my parents. I was so excited to show them the island and to let them see what it was like. We took an hour-long car ride over to the island. I was a little nervous putting them on the boat but they really enjoyed the boat ride. It was fun watching their reactions to how the blue the water was and how close I actually lived to the ocean. We got them settled into the house and headed out to the local volleyball games for the night. My parents got the opportunity to meet some of my students and see what we do at night for fun.
Some of the highlights of their time on the island were going to school on Friday. I had told my students that I would be bringing my parents into the classroom so that they would get the opportunity to meet them and talk to them. I had them create interview questions to ask my parents and incorporated my parents into one of my classes. When my parents arrived at school the kids were so excited to see them and interact with them. They had created homemade Samoan lei’s for my parents to wear. They had went into the mountain and picked fresh flowers for them. They also brought in coconuts for my parents so they could drink some coconut water. My students opened the coconuts for my parents so they could drink it. My students also performed Samoan songs and dances to teach them about the culture. My parents brought presents for my students and they absolutely loved them. They all got their own cross necklace to wear around. I am now constantly seeing them wearing the necklaces and it reminds me of my parents. After the day at school we went to volleyball again at night. My dad decided to hop into a volleyball game. It was fun seeing him play the game and just interacting with the locals.
On Saturday we took my parents for a hike throughout the island. Lusi came along with us and was the official tour guide for our hike. We went and looked at quick sand lake and one of the most beautiful places I think on the island. It is almost like blowholes on the island. Dana and I may have gotten eaten alive by mosquitos but I wouldn’t trade that day for anything. It was fun just watching my parents reactions to all the different things on the island. We also had to take a picture of each and every flower on the island so mom and I were always behind everyone. After the two hour hike around the island it was time to go swimming. We were all sweaty and tired from the long hike that it was time to head to the water and cool off for the day. The rest of the night we just chilled outside enjoying the nice weather outside.
On Sunday they got their first experience of a Samoan church service. One thing you have to know about going to church out here is that it is hot inside the church. I had bought my parents fans before the church service to avoid them getting too hot. Even though they could only understand parts of the sermon they loved listening to the choir sing. I am telling people out here really know how to sing. After church Lusi brought over fried chicken and Taro for my parents to try. I think they really enjoyed the food because I have never seen my mom eat so much chicken. After we ate we headed over to Lusi’s to watch the super bowl game. We don’t have a T.V. at our house so he offered to have us over so we can watch the game. It actually felt like a Sunday for once because we were watching football and just relaxing all afternoon long.
On Monday morning we spent the morning at the beach one last time before my parents headed home. It was so fun just sitting in the water and soaking up the sun with my parents. My mom and I may have fell a few times due to the waves and my arms may be filled with scratches. We also both had so much sand in our pants that it wasn’t even funny. Dad laid in hammock and overlooked us two playing in the water. He more or less laughed at us and was thinking what the heck are these two doing. Once we finished swimming in the water the dreaded goodbye was here. Multiple kids came to the wharf to say goodbye and told them how much they are going to miss them. It was so hard saying goodbye to them all over again but at least this time it wont be nearly as long.
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment