Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Valentines Day and mini hurricane

Valentines day used to be one of my favorite days when I was growing up. I loved the fact of going to school and getting candy from my fellow classmates and giving candy to all my friends. In Samoa they do things a little differently. I honestly had no idea what to expect with this holiday. I had gotten candy for all my students and brought a movie so we could have a little celebration. My students loved the candy and I had gotten cute little handmade valentines from other students. I love getting handmade work from students. I also keep them and put them in a binder so I can look back on them. My students devoured the candy and loved the movie. That is about the extent of the celebrating we did for the holiday. Valentines Day was also Virginia’s birthday so we were also celebrating her 23rd birthday. We made a big cake and then Lusi and Joe did the cinnamon challenge. This challenge is that you cannot eat a spoonful of cinnamon. Safe to say they both failed miserably at the challenge and were leaning over the sink for a while and the three of us were sitting in the chairs laughing at them.
On Friday we had the Valentine’s dance at the Mormon Church. At the dances they start off the night by having a big potluck. We had so much food sitting in front us during the meal. I have to say I have never gone hungry since arriving on the island. After eating our weight in food they called up everyone who had a valentine to come to the middle of the dance floor. I was casually sitting next to Dana when Lusi came over to me and said let’s go. After giving him the death glare because I knew my students would freak out when we went in and joined the heart circle that had been created by the locals. A small murmur went across the crowd as we got up safe to say I am going to hear all about this on Tuesday when I get to class.
Late Saturday night into early Sunday morning was the start of what Dana and I are calling the mini hurricane. Throughout the night we could just hear huge gusts of winds going on outside. These gusts of winds have continued until now which is Sunday night. Our rule of thumb is if we don’t here them constantly ringing the bells we are still safe.  Apparently they are supposed to last until Tuesday sometime. All day on Sunday Dana and I have been running in and out of the house looking at the crazy wind gusts. Lusi came over for lunch bringing us fried chicken and Samoan food. We all had went outside to look at the damage that had happened so far. I was busy recording and not paying attention to where I was walking when I stepped into something squishy. Little did I know that I had just stepped in dog poop. After I had screamed a little bit I heard Dana and Lusi just dying of laughter. I don’t think that I had laughed that hard in so long. It is now Sunday evening and the wind has gotten a little worse. The locals are walking around boarding up all the windows. Whenever it gets really windy we all run to our screened in porch to look out side. One time we were standing in the porch and we could hear tin coming off our roof, the power went out and Lusi was yelling at us to go into the house. For once I was actually wishing we had a basement here to go to. I am so used to having a basement I didn’t know where to go.
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment