Monday, February 13, 2017

Mid-Service already?!

Yet another week of school has passed already. The weeks here seem to be flying by and the end of the school year seems to be getting closer and closer. This week we also had our mid-service meetings with world teach. For this we spent a weekend together with all the volunteers discussing things we need to complete before hopping on the plane to go home. We also got the opportunity to talk to other volunteers about the struggles of being a teacher in Samoa when you are not Samoan. It was relieving to talk to them and know that all of us our going through the same thing just we have different schools.
Along with the meetings we also got treated this weekend. We got to spend one night at Tradewinds hotel on the main island. This is like the Hilton of the island. It has nice rooms, air conditioning and hot showers. These are all big things for us and we all laid in our rooms and just enjoyed sitting in the cold but we all also froze. I slept in long sleeve and leggings and multiple blankets. It will be quite an adjustment when we get back home and not being in the heat all the time.
School has been good lately the closer I get to the end of the school I try to spend more and more time with my students because deep down I know I am running out of time with them. I also know that saying goodbye to them may be one of the hardest things that I will have to do. My big project of the week is to revamp my classroom. I really don’t like the decorations in my classroom but I also don’t really have a choice due to the fact that we have limited supplies. So I have been trying to get as a creative as possible with redecorating. Slowly but surely I am making some progress it may take me until the end of the year to get it to look like I want but we are getting there. I also created a learning center this week. It’s an area my students can go to when they complete assignments. So far this has helped so much with classroom management. I have a stress relief coloring book that I brought in for them and they love it and are always fighting over who gets to color in it.
My life here is always an adventure and this week was yet another experience for me. I was on my lunch break and multiple students were gathered around this box and eating something. I was curious as to what they were eating so I went over there to see what was going on. They were eating seaweed yes, you heard me correctly they were eating seaweed. I tried a piece it looks like tiny little ball filled with water. It actually was pretty good. It tasted salty but it was really good. If they have it again I will take a picture and show you guys. I also tried sushi. I never thought that I would be a person to try sushi and I really liked it. Yeah, I am even surprised to say that I liked it. I tried some raw tuna it was a little spicy but otherwise it was really good!
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment