Friday, October 7, 2016

Finding happiness

Ask any wise person and they will say that the main thing in life is to find happiness. All the money in the world could never buy you happiness. It may buy you temporary happiness. Tonight, I had a moment where I experienced pure happiness. Money could not buy the happiness I was feeling inside. We live right next door to a church. We can here people singing inside the church all the time. This week the kids on the island are preparing for “White Sunday.” On this Sunday the whole day is dedicated to the kids on the island. They are in charge of the church service and the parents prepare a big meal in honor of them. Unfortunately, we have plans to go to main island this weekend and will not be here for it. Which is somewhat a good thing because we have been invited to all the churches multiple times and I have no idea how I would ever choose which one to attend. Tonight they were practicing for the program. We have heard them practicing every night this week but tonight we decided to go outside and peek inside the church. Oh my gosh, I felt like a parent. I was outside the church just standing in pure happiness. I was pointing out all my kids and just watching them sing and dance. It was so adorable. I couldn’t help but stare and enjoy watching the kids be in their element having the time of their lives.

Today, I decided to take my kids to the computer lab to use the smart board. Not having a projector in the classroom has been one of the hardest things. We were learning about the colony Jamestown in Social Studies and I found a virtual tour online. The wording on the website was pretty difficult so I knew I had to be there to translate the words for my students. I had plugged in my computer to the smart board and the virtual tour was just beginning. I have never seen my students so focused on the board as I did when we were doing our little virtual tour. It had pictures of what the colony had once looked like and I had my students just describe what they saw. Let me tell you these kids asked me questions that I never expected. They were so intrigued by it! Slowly but surely we are making progress in the classroom!

Yesterday, in my classroom we had a dead gecko in the electric socket. I had asked one of my students to take it out and throw the gecko outside. She grabbed the gecko and was walking around pretending to throw it at other students and then she finally through it out. She came back into the classroom and said teacher her is your pencil that you gave me earlier. I put my hand behind me and reached for the pencil except it wasn’t a pencil it was that dumb gecko. I jumped and screamed and they all laughed at me and thought that it was so funny. My class always keeps me entertained.


This weekend we have plans to go to the main island. We have long weekend because of Columbus Day. So far we are planning to have a grill out on Saturday and go to the beach on Monday. I can’t wait for a hot shower and being able to see the other volunteers.

With Love, 
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment