Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Spirit Week

Its only Tuesday… That is what we were talking about when we got to our house after school today. Spirit week is living up to its name. The kids have been bouncing off the walls this week with excitement. At the school we do not have any volleyball nets or basketball courts until recently the school got a donation for volleyball net and a basketball hoop. Let me tell you. They had decided to put up the brand new volleyball net and basketball hoop in the middle of my vocabulary lesson. I remember at one point I looked over and everyone of my students eyes were out the window. I could just see the excitement in their eyes and I couldn’t help but get excited for them. All of my kids had smiles ear to ear and they kept saying, “Teacher, teacher, we can’t focus this is so exciting.” Finally I gave in and told them to just go outside and play. They all immediately sprinted to the courts to play.

The problem with letting them play in the morning meant that they had built up all this energy. My students were taking a test or at least I was attempting to have them take a test. When they had finally got quiet I heard Virginia just yelling at here students. I couldn’t help but giggle and talk to her about her morning. Usually one of three of us has a really rough morning and we also laugh about it at lunch and compare who had the worst morning.

Aside from the kids being extremely excited in the classroom we had our own problems to deal with at the house. So our power here is a pay as you go. It is very similar to having a pre-paid phone. Sometimes we forget about our power and we realize that it is really low and we need some more. Last night we went over to the store and found out that they were out of power and would not have anymore power until tomorrow after school. We were at 4.4 units of power and we all knew that it would not make it through the night if we ran our fans all night long. We also knew that once the power went out our fridge would no longer be running and we did not want all of our food in the fridge to spoil. So we decided to all take one for the team and not run our fans while we were sleeping to save our food in the fridge. It was a long night in the heat but we all survived and were very thankful when we got our power card after school yesterday.

Last night when we went to volleyball we decided that we wanted to go swimming after. We had told a bunch of people that we were going to go swimming but we were not expecting them to come with us. We were swimming with a bunch of local kids when half the people from volleyball showed up to go swimming. We have a big ramp that goes into the water where we go swimming. I know I have talked about this ramp before but this ramp is so slippery. All of the locals were standing at the ramp sliding down it into the water. They kept trying to get us to do it. They make walking up this ramp look so easy. Virginia and I decided that we wanted to try and attempt climbing up the ramp. We finally were sitting on the ramp when they go just stand up and walk up the ramp. We were literally clawing our way up this ramp as we watched little kids just gracefully climb up the ramp. When we finally got to the top of the ramp they told us to just slide down. As we were at the top I seriously contemplating going down this ramp. Everyone was telling me try it so I went for it. As I start sliding down the ramp someone yells, “Just please don’t fall and crack your head open it will take a while to get to the hospital.” We all made it down the ramp safely and nobody got hurt!

Last night we got invited to dance at the church on Friday night. We have no idea what a church dance is like but it will be interesting to see what it is like.

With Love,
Abby



No comments:

Post a Comment