Monday, October 17, 2016

It's the weekend

I have such a love hate relationship with the weekends. I love the fact that we have the weekend and a couple of days to relax and do whatever. I also am not a fan of weekend because I like to keep myself busy and sometimes that can be a little hard here. The lifestyle out here is very relaxed and you just do whatever you want whenever you want. I can’t remember the last time that I was actually this relaxed. Saturday mornings are always my favorite because I get the opportunity to face time with my mom. I really don’t think I could make it throughout the week some weeks if I didn’t get the opportunity to talk with them. Especially since I was so used to talking with here everyday when I was back in the states.

This Saturday one of the world teach volunteers from the main island came over to visit us. She really wanted to see the island and come see us. So we had our first ever visitor on the island. Once she got here we decided to take her out to the harbor to go swimming. This is literally one of my favorite things to do here. I take my little floaty and just float around the harbor for a little while. The view is amazing because you can see mountains and the crystal clear ocean. While swimming we had a few kids come and join us for our swim. The little boy that decided to swim with me thought it was so funny because he got me flipped off my floaty. He then pretended that I was a boat and my feet were his steering wheel and he drove me all around the harbor.

I can tell we are becoming more and more like locals the longer we are here. For instance today I heard a lot of noise coming from outside. So I went outside to see what was going on. Here all the guys were trying to move a boat into the water. We don’t have any boat trailers on island. So they took some PVC pipe and rolled the boat. It was very interesting way of doing it. Of course we all sat on a rock and watched this happen.

On Saturday night we got to experience first hand what the locals meant when the power goes out in the middle of the night. We have had people warn us that sometimes the power goes out in the middle of the night and that we need to get used to sleeping without fans. Well I woke up in the middle of the night and I could not figure out what was wrong. For one my room was really quiet and I remember touching my stomach and it feeling like I just got out of the shower. I am guessing it took about two hours to get the power back on and I was so hot. Hopefully this doesn’t happen often.


If you ever have the opportunity to go night swimming you have to do it! We tried it out after volleyball on Friday night. The water is still warm and it almost cools you off because it is cool enough outside. I love floating on my back in the water and looking up at all the stars in the sky. It was a relaxing way to end our busy week in the classroom.

With Love,
Abby 

1 comment:

  1. From da rock as well but never been to da islands of Manuia but reading about your experience 'bout it makes me want to visit there.....anyways thanks for helping out the kids

    ReplyDelete