Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Finding peace in the crazy

This has been one heck of a Tuesday. So walking to school this morning with Lusi. He always drops me off in the morning. It was super windy for here and rainy and I had said to him I really hope the teachers who have to take the boat come today. He reassured me by saying the wind was from the right direction no worries. The states have this beautiful thing called substitute teachers.  American Samoa does not. So when a teacher calls in sick the principal or vice principal will take over the class. Well we are currently understaffed which means the principal or vice principal are teaching those classes until they can fill the position. For some odd reason people don’t get as much enjoyment from the boat rides as I do. So we are low on staff. Its about five minutes until the bell rings all my students are sitting at their desk with their notebooks out talking a million miles a minute to me before school starts. The vice principal comes in to tell me that the principal, SPED, ECE, fifth, and sixth grade teachers are all gone today. Please have the level five students in your classroom today.
So instead of my nine students I jumped to 19.  Which when you are used to only have nine its quite a jump. Plus my classroom is not made for this many students. It was quite an eventful morning trying to get all of the kids settled and listening to me. I was in the middle of a lesson and it starts down pouring and rain was coming through my shutter windows and kids were moving around to stay dry and a crab goes running through the middle of the classroom. Which sends everyone running around trying to step on it to kill it. Meanwhile I’m just trying to get them quiet. After lunch I had to leave for a meeting. I felt real guilty dumping all those students onto a different teacher but I had no choice.
While on Saturday my car’s check engine light came on so it is currently at the car shop aka some mans back yard. I sent Lusi to town to go order the part. The mechanics don’t order the parts here you have to go to a NAPA store and do that on your own. Turns out NAPA is only open on weekdays and so I can’t ever make it there on time. Thankfully Lusi can. I send him and we plan on meeting up after my meeting to go home. He then starts calling me saying that none of the places will order it for some reason. So once again I hit a dead end. Hopefully we can figure something out.
On top of all that was happening today I have two MAJOR assignments due in my master’s classes. As I am riding along the coastline I can’t seem to stop all of my problems from going through my head. Then I start thinking. This morning in my devotions before school I came across something that really hit home. I have two devotions that I do at home. One that is specially for teachers and the other is just a daily one. The teacher one talked about how as a teacher you are always giving to your students. Always acknowledging them and making sure they are okay. Even though I had classroom of kids today I still found time to go to almost all of them and see how they were. The second devotion that I did this morning talked about worrying about things we cannot control. As I was watching the rainfall and the waves crash. I was thinking about how I can’t really control any of the crazy that happened today. That’s all God. I can sit here for the next couple of hours and let the worry roll through my head or I can let it go. Like the raindrops falling on the side of the car I just let the worry fall to the ground. Sometimes in the crazy I forget to sit and reflect and let it go. I know that everything happens for a reason and you just have to trust the process.
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment