Saturday, September 8, 2018

Teacher Life

We have just finished our first week of school. My students surprised me each day by actually knowing what we discussed. My new ways of teaching seem to be working so far! Yay!! One piece of advice I was given when I was a student teacher was that you should always take your vitamins because you are always going to be sick as a teacher. This statement is sooooo true. I never used to get sick. Once I became a teacher I feel like a majority of the year I am fighting a cold. The amount of times I have been sneezed on and coughed on is crazy. I notice it more because I try to avoid the events if possible. But sometimes it just happens. This week was not exception. I was sick by Wednesday morning. I think it may have had to do with the temperature change. All in all being a teacher means you are likely to have a cold most of the year.

This week in island terms it was cold. Meaning it was prolly low 80s to high 70s. Every morning my students have to decide what the weather outside is like. They get to choose all the different weather types. They always laugh when I bring out the snowing one. This week a majority of the days the kids picked that it was cold outside. Being cold here means that I can put a long sleeve on at night. It also means I will choose a t-shirt after school instead of a tank top. It also means ill break out my hot tea after school.  Usually I don’t drink it in the heat of the day because I will just end up sweating uncontrollably. But when its cold ill drink it right before I take a shower so I warm up enough that its not so cold.

Saturdays are my favorite days of the week. I put all my work and masters stuff away. I don’t let myself even think about the mountain of work I need to complete. Lusi and I go to town every Saturday one because I need food and this is the only day that I can go to town. Secondly, for a change in pace. We spend all morning and sometimes the afternoon across. Going from store to store trying to find food that is similar to home for me. This Saturday was a good Saturday because the shipping boat just came in which means we have lots of options. Some Saturdays can be some very slim pickings and I have to resort to making more Samoan like foods for the week. I have learned to stock up on my favorites because it’s a gold mine sometimes if you find those things.

With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment