Tuesday, September 25, 2018

White Sunday Practice

White Sunday is a very big deal in American Samoa. It is a Sunday that is specifically dedicated to the kids of the island. For about a month leading up to this particular Sunday the kids will practice songs, dances, and memory verses for White Sunday. White Sunday is very similar to our Christmas Program at church. The kids are in charge of the whole service. I think that last year it lasted three hours. I remember it being rather long. All of the kids in the church participate in it along with the youth. Which yours truly is involved in and will be performing also.
My dancing and singing skills are one of a kind to say the least. In other words I am terrible compared to everyone here. Like these kids are taught how to dance the second they learn how to walk. They got some skills. I have very little experience in the dance department. I still participate in these things for two reasons. Reason number one I get to see and hang out with the people of the village. My students that I had in previous years I can see them and give them pure entertainment. Like last night for instance. I had absolutely no idea what was going on because it was said in Samoan and then I got called out and every single one of my previous students was seen giggling at me. Reason number two is because as a teacher I like to put myself in my student’s position sometimes. See how the feel. What better way to do that then participate in something that is not in my native tongue. I know what if feels like when you just don’t understand what people are saying. They can say it five hundred times over and I still am not going to understand what’s going on.  So it helps me understand how my students feel in my classroom and how I can try and help them.
Now I am telling you these practices are some kind of interesting for me. First we have to learn the song in Samoan. We then practice for like an hour working on the correct pronunciations and such. I usually lip sing and try to learn how to say the word just in case some one asks me. After we master the song comes the dances. We spend another hour or so working on the moves. I can’t keep a beat to save my life so this also is interesting for me. And once again if you don’t do the move correctly they call you out and make you do it in front of everyone…
These practices are every night for me until the Sunday so I have been very busy working on my singing and dancing.
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment