Thursday, October 25, 2018

Hot Hot Hot

·There are these very random days that it decides to be unbearably hot. Today was that day.  Know I am not normally one to complain of the heat. Buuuut today was one for the books. You know how it feels when you open an oven and all the hot air blows on your face. Well today when I opened my door at the end of the day that was the feeling I felt. Just a reminder that our classrooms are not air conditioned so to have this feeling is rare. I opened my door because it was hot in my room and usually opening the door cools it off. Not today my friends. At the end of the day I had sweat just dripping down and my poor students got so worried about me because its not often that I am sweating here. I remember this feeling more my first year but I think that’s because my body was not adjusted to the heat yet. I was literally counting down the minutes until I could shower. Now in this weather you have to plan your shower according to the weather. There is no sense in showering when I get home from school because the second I get out of the shower I will just start sweating again. So you have to wait until the sun is setting. The feeling of showering on a hot day is similar to after running a mile and drinking a cold glass of water.

Despite the heat we still struggled through school today. By the time we reached after school we were all sweaty and ready to be done. At first I did not really care for the after school program. The more I get into it and the routine of it the more I like it. I like changing up my students and having a chance to work with other students. We are working with adding and subtracting and these kids do something I have never seen until I came here. Now remember we don’t ever wear closed toe shoes here. I think I maybe wear my tennis shoes five times a year while I am here. Wearing socks just gets too hot for me. My kids also don’t ever wear them. In Samoan culture they are taught to take their shows off before entering the classroom. So when you walk past classrooms you will see piles of shoes sitting outside. The teacher wears them but not the students. My students put their in the classroom by a wall due to upper class man stealing shoes in the past. Anyway my students use their toes when solving addition and subtraction problems. Its so funny to watch them count it out on their toes its just something I have never seen before.

Hope you are enjoying the cool weather.
With Love,
Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment