Saturday, August 13, 2016

Living the Dream

After an extremely long day in the classroom yesterday we finally had our first day off! We spent almost eleven hours in classes yesterday and we were all beyond exhausted by the end of the day.  This morning we loaded up a bus and headed towards the beach for the day! The bus we took was not a normal bus like we have in the states. The bus was all wooden which was really interesting. They also love to play music very loudly on the bus. I love when they do that and you are just surrounded by the ocean and mountains. We arrived at this beach and it was so pretty and surrounded by coral. It also had this little mountain next to it where you could climb up. We climbed the little mountain and looked for places that look cool to snorkel. We were back down the mountain and heading towards our snorkel gear.
I have never been so thankful for bringing snorkel gear as I was today. The water is absolutely clear and you can see everything. I also got an underwater camera before coming on this trip and I got some pretty awesome pictures. I got the opportunity to see and hold a blue starfish today. I was so skeptical of holding it but it was also so cool to actually see a starfish in its natural habitat. We also saw so many different types of fish. I wish I could tell you the names of them but I have no idea. We did see a lot Dory fish that you can see in Finding Nemo. One bad thing about snorkeling is I have never had to deal with such a bad current. At moments I could just feel the current pulling me out to see which was a little scary.
After a morning filled with snorkeling we had our own little picnic on the beach. We had so much food and it was so good. I love eating on the beach the view is indescribable. On the beach we ran into a past World Teach teacher and she was telling us about all the things we needed to do while we were out here. She also invited us to her wedding because at the end of September she will be marrying a Samoan.
One of the things I have noticed in Samoa is that family is a really big thing out here. You will always see people with their whole at the beach or the park. They also love to play volleyball out here. Hopefully they like to play on my little island! Today was a great day to see the natural beauty of the island unfortunately tomorrow its back to reality and back to having classes all day!


No comments:

Post a Comment