Thursday, August 18, 2016

Temporary Home

Over the last week in half I have been living at a school in Ta’funa and tomorrow morning I will be leaving and heading to my home for the year. I am not going to lie I am kind of sad to be leaving the school. I am going to miss the endless nights of us girls laying on our foam mats and laughing about the most random things. Our group has gotten so close over the past couple of weeks and I don’t know when I will see some of them once we leave the school tomorrow morning.

This morning a group of us girls decided that we wanted to try out running. So we all rolled out of bed around eight and headed towards the road to for a nice little run. The view was absolutely breath taking we had mountains on one side and the ocean on the other side. Despite the great view I would like to say it will take a lot to get me to run in the Samoa again. About ten minutes into the run the sun was beating down on us. I had never sweated so bad in my life. I even took a cold shower after the run and was still sweating when I got out of the shower. So word to the wise if you ever come to the Samoa avoid running because it gets so hot. May I remind you that we are still in the winter season.

Tonight we had our last language lesson and I was really wishing we could have more. I do not feel confident in speaking the Samoan language. For our last night of lesson Surri, our teacher had a surprise. She brought in coconut leaves and showed us how to weave baskets and plates. It was interesting learning how to weave at first it was really confusing but after time you got the hang of it. She also showed us how to crack open a coconut. When I get to my little island I may have to try cracking one open just for the fun of it. She also brought us Samoan oranges; the oranges here taste very different. They are not nearly as juicy as the oranges we have back home.

Lastly, tomorrow is my big moving day. I am super excited to see what the house looks like and I no longer will be living out of a suitcase! YAY! Tomorrow morning Virginia and Dana (my housemates) will be loading up the truck to take an hour-long car ride to the harbor. The island has twenty five mile an hour speed limit so it takes forever to get anywhere on the island. Once we get to the harbor we have a twenty-minute boat ride to our little island of Auun’u. Once on our island we will get to meet our landlord and get settled in. The downside of all of this happening is I will be losing my connection to wifi for the time being. My new home does not have it so I don’t know when I will have it again but I do have to come back to the main island sometime over the weekend. So I am not real sure when my next blog post will be posted!
With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment