Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Why?

Why? Why would one travel across the world to teach on a remote island and barely make enough money to make ends meet for a year? This is a common question that I had been asked prior to this trip. Most of the time I had no idea how to respond to this question. I can’t really explain my reasoning to anyone because I don’t really know. I just knew that this is something that would change me but also be good for me. It would be an experience that I would be talking about for years to come.

As orientation is coming to a close the reality is once again settling in for the year. I feel like almost everyone who is on this trip at some point in the last two weeks has questioned coming here. What am I doing here and was this the best decision for my future? Let me tell you this question has rolled through my head multiple times. Most twenty year olds would not give up almost everything to go teach in school that is in high need of teachers. I think we all knew that we needed this. All of us on this trip have different reasons for doing this. All of us are trying to figure what our next big move in life will be. All of us genuinely care about people and doing the right thing and that’s what brought us to this little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that many people have never heard of.  

One of the biggest reasons I came on this trip is for the kids. Even though I am sure some weeks these kids are going to make me want to pull my hair out and book a flight home. I would do anything for them. I have learned that when I work with kids I treat them as if they were my own. I may be hard on them at times but its just tough love. I want to prepare them for what is to come. I want to show them that someone cares. Many kids don’t grow up in a stable household. So I take it upon myself to make sure that they have someone in their life that cares for them and makes sure they are okay.

I know that the reason I came on this trip is to grow as a person and to learn more about the world. Whenever you go on a trip like this you meet so many unique people who have interesting stories to share. You also learn about yourself. In this day and age social media and technology play a prominent role in our lives. Ill be honest not having social media and technology for twenty four hours is nice. You don’t feel attached you are actually experiencing and living besides just sitting behind a screen.

With that all being said this may be my last blog for a while.  I am moving out to my home for the week and am unsure when I will get Internet again. The school I am working at is supposed to have Internet but it is currently done! Cross our fingers that it gets fixed soon. I will continue writing blogs and post them when I get the chance. Thanks so much for your support I have no idea who is reading them but the support is awesome!

P.S. If you see my mom in the next couple of days make sure to give her a BIG birthday hug since I won’t be able to give her one this year J

With Love,
Abby



1 comment:

  1. Abby caring about kids is what makes you a good teacher. You are going to grow and learn so much this year. Plus some of us (me) are living this experience through you because I wasn't brave enough to do something like this when I could. Who knows...maybe I will do it before my career is over. You got this!

    ReplyDelete