Sunday, August 21, 2016

The road less traveled

On Friday night once we had got settled in we decided to go for a little hike and explore the island. We were walking along a road it was more a like a path of tire tracks and seeing where it led to. We were warned that the dogs are not like the dogs we have in the states. The dogs here are guard dogs and if you go on their owners land they are trained to attack you. We came across this house on our hike and dog started chasing us. So I grabbed a rock and started yelling at the dog and it finally left us alone but poor Dana was screaming and running from the dog! After we were walking for a while the path no longer seemed like a path anymore but we decided to continue walking for a little bit. We came across a clearing and saw an amazing view. It was like a little cove that had blowholes and small tide pools. The cove also faces the sunrise and I want to spend a couple mornings watching the sunrise over that.

When we had arrived at out house we had been warned about hearing church bells since the church is right next to our house. Well when they told me that I would be hearing church bells I figured it would be on Sundays and at night. Well I was very very wrong. At about 4 am, yes 4 in the morning the church bells rang for an hour. When I first heard them I jumped out of bed thinking it was an emergency or something. Nope. That’s when they ring the church bells on the island.

Early on Saturday morning we had to head back to the main island. We packed up all the supplies we needed for the week and headed towards the harbor. We hopped on the boat and this mother and daughter were on the boat.  The first thing the mother said was oh you must be the teachers. She continued to talk to us the whole boat ride over. When we were getting off the boat I went to the driver to pay and he goes no she paid for your fare. The lady then continued to carry our bags off the boat for us and put them in the car. She goes let me just bring you to where you need to go. Sometimes people are just truly amazing! I couldn’t believe she did that all for complete strangers!

Once we got to the main city we walked to one of the other World Teach teacher’s house. We are going to be staying at their house for the remainder of the week because on Monday we have opening ceremony for teachers and orientation the rest of the week. Once we got our items unloaded we headed to Shivaun’s house for BBQ. We hung out at her house all afternoon and we were just sitting on the porch when Justin goes “Oh my gosh guys look.” We turn around to see two whales swimming in the water. I never in my life thought I would randomly just see whales swimming so close to me it was amazing!


We had to leave the beach party at like 5:30 because the bus stops running at 6. So we hopped on the busses and headed to our temporary home for the week. The busses out here are a little different they have flat screen T.Vs inside so you can watch music videos while riding the bus. They also play the music very loudly. I honestly think that the bus drivers are having competitions to see who has the nicest bus.

Once we got back we decided we needed to figure something out for supper. We decided to walk to this Mexican place down the street. Right as we left it started raining and we figured it would last like five minutes and clear up that’s what it USUALLY does. Not this time. We started walking and it was down pouring. We had been told that we should always carry a rain jacket. After walking about ten minutes I could wring my clothes out but we were hungry so we continued walking. We get to the Mexican restaurant and they were closed. So we headed towards McDonalds, which was like 3 blocks further. We get there and are just standing outside wringing out our clothes. We get inside and this would be the first time I was cold since I arrived. They had AC inside and it was freezing. You could literally see where we all stood because we had puddles of water under us and a trail of water to where we were sitting! Needless to say I now will always carry a rain jacket to avoid that ever happening again!

With Love,


Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment