Sunday, August 21, 2016

Welcome to your new home!

Wow! I have so much to tell you guys. The last twenty-four hours have been pretty crazy.  Early this morning we loaded up the truck and headed to the harbor. Since it randomly rains here all we tried to put as much luggage as we could in the inside of the truck. We all sat in the bed of the truck and honestly I liked sitting back their way better you smell and see so much more. Sweetie, our field director’s assistant took us to our island. Sweetie is Samoan so she brought her Samoan friends to help us. It was really nice to have them along because they helped us carry our luggage.

We arrived at the harbor and loaded up this small boat with all our bags. The boat was like the size of a pontoon but not nearly as nice. We took our short twenty-minute boat ride to the island. The boat ride was breath taking. I have seen very clear water but not this clear. I can’t even begin to describe the color of blue the water is. Our new Samoan friends that helped us carry our bags said that the water on our island is so clear because it is not nearly as polluted. When we pulled up to the harbor you could see the shadow of the boat at the bottom of the ocean because the water was so clear.

After arriving on the island we were greeted by our landlord and his wife. When coming to the island I did not expect us to have a very nice house. I was proven wrong. Our house sits right on the beach and in front our house we have the “hangout” place. Samoans sit by the harbor and watch boats come and go from the harbor. We walked into our house and my jaw almost dropped. Our landlord had decorated it all beach themed to make sure that we felt at home during our stay. They also provided us with new pots and pants, crock-pot, and a rice maker! Ona (our landlord) also bought us a brand new washer to make sure that we always had clean clothes! I feel like I am already getting spoiled.

Nata also met us when arrived to the island. Nata is the principal at our school and said that she would be taking care of us over the next year. She gave us a tour of the island to show us everything. The island is tiny but I already love it! She drove us to the school and its like a 15 minute walk from our house. The school is very tiny. It is an elementary school that has kids pre-k through eighth. The principal’s office is like the size of a large closet in the states.  We also got a sneak peak of our classroom today and I got the key to my classroom. I am officially a teacher! My classroom is not very big but the view is amazing. I look at the window of my classroom and can see waves crashing against rocks. The classroom also has a smart board but due to the humidity it does not work. I am so excited to start setting the classroom up and preparing for the upcoming year.

After the tour of our home we finally got to unpack our bags.  I was unpacking my bags and I had forgotten like half of the items that I had packed. It was fun rediscovering everything that I had packed up. We even had time to do a quick load of laundry. (This is the first time I have done laundry in like 15 days.) We had just got settled into our house and I soon heard little giggles coming from outside. Here was a little girl standing at our door. She and a bunch of her friends just walked into our porch and started talking to us and hanging out. I was a little skeptical of letting them do this because it might become an everyday occurrence. They continued to chat with us for a while and then left. I had went to my room to continue unpacking and I heard giggles and talking. Sure enough the kids were at my window trying to open it and talk to me. We had like six kids running around house barking and meowing in our windows. I told the other girls we need to stop giving them attention so they leave us alone. So we all piled into a small walk way and hid from them. This could be one interesting year!

With Love,

Abby


No comments:

Post a Comment