Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A familiar face

One of the many things that I have learned since arriving on this island is that you need to be flexible. For example yesterday I was in the middle of my lesson and I was informed that school would be getting out early and I would have to travel to the main island for a meeting. In the next hour I was aboard a boat making my way to the island for a meeting. We honestly have no idea when school is going to be let out early until two hours before it happens.

It was really nice to get off the island and travel to the main island it had been about a week since we had left. We traveled to a part of the island that we had never seen before and it was so pretty. All the other teachers were laughing at us because we were so excited to see new sights and a new place. The school where the meeting took place was beautiful it overlooked the ocean and all you could see was Open Ocean. The meeting took about an hour and then we headed back to the harbor. Shivuan our field director was coming over for the night to see our house and to visit with us. We all got so excited to see a familiar face it had been so long since we have seen someone that we knew.

Shivuan brought food for us too and guys guess what it was??? It was not tacos buuuuut it was enchiladas and I was so excited. It felt like a home cooked meal from home and I was so happy. We then showed Shivaun around the island and she got the full experience of what our normal day is like. It was nice to talk to someone about all our classroom problems and discuss ways to solve the problems we are facing. She was also sharing all the struggles that other volunteers were facing and it made us feel a lot better. We all sat down on our little couch and gathered around a computer to watch our nightly viewing of One Tree Hill. We have yet to watch a whole episode without being interrupted. Every time we sit down I hear someone yelling our names and standing at our door with food. Last nigh we received papaya and pizza! Yes, one of our teachers makes pizza on island and brought us fresh pizza! Our fridge is stuffed full with tin foil covered dishware and names written on the foil to remember who brought us what! I have not had to make a meal since last Saturday!

This morning we had to say goodbye to Shivaun. Dana and I were talking about how sad we were once she left. It had felt so good being able to actually talk to someone that we knew and it made us miss our families and friends! Luckily once I got to school my students greeted me and I had soon forgot about everything else!

With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment