Monday, September 26, 2016

Another week down

We survived yet another week of school. Friday afternoons are always a struggle in my classroom. My students want to be done for the day and so do I. It doesn’t help that here after students eat lunch they are so unfocused. We were told in orientation to do all of our important teaching in the morning because after lunch students just want to be done for the day. I have to agree that statement is very true after lunch is a true struggle. My students are still working on teaching me the language and on Friday’s they give me a quiz to see how much I learned over the past week.

On Friday’s are the big volleyball games on the island. We all go to the church and play under the lights. At the volleyball games there is so much going on. You have one court. There is a big volleyball game going on with all the locals. People sit on a brick wall around the courts trying to watch the kids. They have about fifty little kids running around the court at all times. Sometimes it can be a little distracting. At least one little toddler runs through the middle of the court in the middle of the game. I just like the fact that everyone gets together to have a fun time on Friday nights.

On Saturday afternoon one of our island friends Lima, called us and told us she was going across to get groceries. She asked if we wanted to come along because she was going to show us all the different spots we could go. Her sister in law came with us and they have a truck on the main island. They drove us to a couple of local marts and these marts had a few more options than the one we usually go to. All of these marts had fresh fruit, which was what we were all excited about. As surprising as it may seem it is really hard to find any fresh fruit here.

Saturday’s are one of my favorite days because I try to Face Time my family every Saturday morning. One of the hardest parts of being here is not being in constant communication with my family. I am so used to being able to call people whenever I need to talk to them. Out here I can only talk to friends and family for about an hour a day! Which is a little different than usual. So I always look forward to Saturday mornings when I get to spend about an hour chatting with my parents! I also got a little surprise this weekend and got to talk to Karlee because my parents were at a wedding that she was attending! J 
With Love,
Abby 


No comments:

Post a Comment