Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Just call me the rat trapper..

Like promised I told you I was going to keep you posted on our little rat situation. I was asking around to all the locals seeing what they did to keep rats out of the home. Most of them laughed and said that they don’t have a rat problem in the house. Thankfully, one of the teachers at school offered to help us with this problem. He came over and showed us how to set the traps. For the time being I felt a little better about the situation.

Last night we went about our regular nightly activities. We went to the local volleyball match and played a couple of rounds. After the game a couple of our new friends told us that they had ordered pizza for us and would come around eight with it. To say we were a little excited about getting pizza was an understatement. We were all eagerly waiting for the clock to hit eight so we could enjoy our pizza. At around eight we got the call about pizza. The boys and Lima had brought us pizza and pop and we had our little picnic outside. When I go home it might kill me that I won’t be able to go outside as much as I do here. We enjoyed our pizza and pops sitting on a grave. Yes, I did say grave. It is common here to see people sitting on graves. The graves here are on the family’s property marking that it is a families land. It was a great night under the stars, eating pizza, and making new friends.

After we enjoyed our meal we decided to head in for the night. I usually stay up later than my other two roommates. I sit in my room reading and just having “quiet time”. If you know anything about me I need to have a couple of hours to myself a day otherwise I get real crabby. Just ask anyone in my family! As I was reading I heard a loud snap and to say I was relieved was an understatement. I heard the loud snap of the trap going and I could finally go to sleep knowing the little devil was dead.

In the morning we went hunting for the rat and found it in our kitchen. I had told my roommates and Virginia being the animal lover was like poor little rat. Dana was terrified and would not go near the corner in which we had set the trap. I on the other hand was intrigued by it. I was looking at it and trying to figure out a way to get rid of it. I took it out to our screened in porch and let it set there. That way it wouldn’t stink up the house and I had to figure out how to get it out of the trap. When I got home tonight the rat and the trap was gone. I am thinking a local cat smelt it and took it for supper. At least we got rid of it and hopefully it was our last one!

So far this week school has been going well. I am finally getting the hang of being a teacher. I still face many problems everyday but that is typical. I am starting to really catch onto the language. Which is good because I am sick of not knowing what people are saying to me. I just want to interact in conversation with everyone. Slowly but surely we will get an understanding for it. Tomorrow we have our open house for the school. Parents are allowed to come to school and see the classroom. They can watch us teach a lesson and talk to us to see if we are having any problems with the students. I am excited to meet some of the parents of the students.

Lastly, I got mail today!!! Mail days are literally my favorite days. My grandma had sent me letters and I laughed along with parts of it and enjoyed every moment of reading them`. It was so nice getting information about what was going on back home. That’s one of the hardest parts I feel so left out from home! I also got my fan that I had ordered a couple of weeks ago. We decided to buy fans to see if it would save on our electric bill. I bought one online and it even has a remote and sound setting on it. I feel so spoiled being able to lie in bed and turn my fan on. I swear the littlest things make me so happy these days.!

With Love,
Abby



No comments:

Post a Comment