Monday, September 19, 2016

Rats, gigantic waves and lots of giggles

This Sunday we had been asked by multiple people to go check out the Mormon Church on the island. I knew about half my class had attended the church and they were all asking if we would please come see the church. When we arrived at church this morning we felt like celebrities entering the church. The little ones were soon calling all of our names and yelling at us as we entered the church. This Sunday was also the children’s program. I almost felt like a proud mom in the crowd watching the little ones perform. I would make eye contact with one of them and soon they would be waving and smiling at me. I am sure I will hear all about tomorrow at school.

After church we got invited over to a friends house for Sunday lunch. Sunday’s here almost feel like home because they always make really big meals on Sunday morning and eat the big meal after church. For lunch we had turkey tail, pig’s feet, New Zealand mussels, rice, and ham. The food was really good and I really liked the mussels I have never had them before. We even go to watch a little bit of Sunday football because it was playing on the T.V.

We spent the afternoon in our classrooms preparing for the week we have ahead of us on our way back we decided to go sit on the rocks and watch the waves come in. All three of us were lost in thought when this huge wave came in. We had never gotten wet sitting on the rocks and we were soaked head to toe. We were all giggling from the shock of having a wave actually touch us. Once we got soaked we headed inside for supper.


I was making a small supper when out of the corner of my eye I saw something scurry across the floor and under our couch. I turn to Virginia and say I think I just saw a rat run under the couch. Sure enough I look up again and its heading towards the bedroom. Virginia and I decide that we need to figure out where his little home is. We grab our headlamp flashlights and are off to search for the rat. We first searched around the bedrooms shaking everything that is laying on the floor making sure the rat doesn’t fly out from them. We are both on edge just waiting for this rat to pop out. We thankfully did not find the rat in any of ours rooms. So we head up to the attic. We rarely go up to the attic and we don’t have very many items up there. We don’t see anything so we decided maybe we should just stomp around to see if we can scare it out of hiding. I am searching around the boxes stomping my feet with my little headlamp flashlight. When Virginia shrieks. Before I can even process what is happening the little devil runs between my legs. I throw my flashlight in the air and batteries scatter everywhere. We go from screaming to sitting on the stairs laughing at what just happened. I honestly don’t remember the last time that I laughed so hard.  The rat had ran across Virginia’s feet and through my legs. Poor Dana was sitting downstairs on the kitchen counter scared for life. We now know where the little devil lives and will continue our rat hunt when we decide how to kill him. I will keep you posted on how three girls figure out how to capture the rat.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you could laugh! I'd be with Dana on the counter! EEK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah! It was a very eventful evening! The locals were telling me some of the rats get to the size of a cat! I sure hope I never see one that big!

      Delete