Sunday, September 4, 2016

The Power of Family

Family is one of the best things that we have been given in life. You don’t realize the power of your family until you have been put through a tough time. Your family is the people that stand by your side through the tough time and make sure that you make it through. Sometimes you might consider people your family even when they are not family by blood. I like to think that I have many families; I have my blood family, school family, work family, my Samoan family and church family. I know that whatever I am going through all of these people will be by my side.

My life has been anything but normal these last couple of years. I have done more traveling than most people will do in their lifetime. Traveling teaches you so much about yourself and I think that’s why I continue to do it. I love getting to know new people and seeing their perspective on life. I love to see life from many different angles. One thing that Samoa has taught me is the power of your family.

I have asked my students to do a couple of writing activities. I have given them prompts that make students write about themselves. This way I can get an idea of what kind of background my students come from. One thing that has caught me completely off guard is what these kids would do for their family. Many of my students have talked about how they want to go to the army. They want to make enough money and give it all to their family. My eighth grade students want to give everything they can to make sure their family is okay. I think that is pretty amazing.

This also makes me think/reminisce about my family. If you know anything about my blood family you know that we are all close. We are always there for each other through the thick and the thin. I know for a fact that sometimes I don’t always make it easy for them. I always know that when I run into a problem I can call them at any second and they will be ready to talk and help me. I also know that if I get in any sort of trouble my over protective loving brothers got my back ;) They also push me to be better. I see all that they have accomplished and done and know that I want to be like them. I know that I couldn’t have asked for a better family. We have laughed, cried, fought and everything in between and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I also have my non-blood family. These are the friends that I know I will have for the rest of my life. They are always there for me encouraging me to do what ever I want. They are the ones I can count on for complete support when my real family is not there in person for me. These are the friends that have seen me at my best and my worst and still claim me as their friend and I thank them for that. Samoa has made me so aware of the family and support system I have at home. These people rely so heavily on family. They don’t have technology or all the fancy gadgets out here. They have each other. They are almost always together playing and fighting. Sometimes I wonder how they still like each other with as much fighting they do but I think them fighting is the way they show love out here. Weird. I know but its what they do.
I want to thank my family back home blood related or not for all that they have done for me. You guys are truly amazing and thanks for being by my side.

With Love,
Abby


No comments:

Post a Comment