Friday, September 2, 2016

The First Couple of Days

My days here start out nice and early because I have to be at school and ready for the day by 7:30. In the morning we walk to school it is about a 15-minute walk right along the ocean. It is one of my favorite parts of the day.  I put my headphones in and watch the waves crash against the white sand with fog surrounding the mountains in the background. Once I turn the corner to school I instantly hear the shouts of my students, “Teacher, teacher, good morning Miss Abby.” They are always waiting and so excited to see us. The second that I unlock the door my students are piling into the room and excitedly talking to me. Most of the time trying to get me to speak in Samoan because I usually fail miserably. I have always been a morning person but getting work done in the morning does not happen. I have students from all grade levels coming in and say hello and hovering around my desk.

The school day is always an exciting and sometimes a little frustrating. My students are so eager to learn which I love because it makes teaching them so much more fun. But we have a little bit of a language barrier. I am starting to realize that sometimes they are listening but have no idea what the words I am using mean. I try my best to think of different words to use and they still give me the same blank stare. I know with time they will catch on but it’s just hard. A lot of the times I want to do activities with the students but do to lack of supplies it just doesn’t happen.

My students are seriously the sweetest things. They are always asking to help me but sometimes they just don’t know when to be quiet. They sure all love to talk and they love learning about my life and what Minnesota and Iowa is like. The other day I was showing them pictures of some of the boats that I was on this summer. I am not even kidding ALL of the boys in my class jaws literally dropped. They could not believe how nice the boat was and they could not believe I rode on that boat. They asked if my friends would bring the boat down so they could ride it. I said I don’t think that will be happening anytime soon. They also told me they see sharks and octopus all the time and the next they see one they will come get me and show me. On a side note it was kind of creepy the other day in class I was talking about my house and instantly they go oh yeah you live in that one house and your room is the back one. I find it slightly creepy that they even know where my bedroom is and they have never been in my house.

The other night we were all preparing supper when we heard Virginia, Dana, Abby!!! Our students came to our front door and brought us fresh coconuts and we were so excited. The next day in school the SPED teacher goes how were your fresh coconuts. I was like really good. He goes I saw three boys walking past with lots of coconuts and they were all laughing. I didn’t think anything of it and kept walking. Soon enough I get to my little coconut tree and they took all of them. He goes don’t worry I am not mad I just can’t believe they took them all!

Lastly, the heat. I am not kidding you I have never sweated so much as I have since I have arrived here. Supper is the worst time because you are standing over the stovetop making food and just dripping with sweat and I never can cool off after supper. We then sit in our little living room and have this handheld fans that some lady gave us at church. They are like coconut leave woven fans but some nights I am so grateful for them even though I feel like a diva waving it.

With Love,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment