Friday, September 16, 2016

Week 3

The last couple of days in the classroom I have been researching ideas on how to get my students moving around in the classroom. I notice that when they are moving around the days goes faster for me and it goes faster for me. It takes a little longer to prepare for class but it is so worth it in the end. One of the activities I found online was a card game helping students with learning the difference between prime and composite numbers. They got into the game so much I couldn’t get them to calm down the whole time we were playing the game. After the game they also understood what the difference between prime and composite were which was a win, win.

We are also working on narrative writing in our English class. Today, we did we worked on our brainstorming. We talked about the importance of using our five senses in our writing so that way the reader can visualize what we are writing. Most of my students decided to write about the Tsunami of 2009. They were in second grade at school when this devastating storm hit the island. A few examples of describing words my students used were screaming, yelling, worry, shaking, fish and coral everywhere. As they were describing the events of the day it was crazy to here what they experienced. I can’t wait for them to finish the papers so I can read about it all!

We are continuing to get spoiled by everyone on this island. We are all fighting some sort of sickness and none of us can get over it. The principle heard that we were not feeling well and went to the main island and got us a bunch of medicine. She also got us a whole bunch of fresh fruit and orange juice. It was so yummy and we have yet had to make a meal since last Sunday! It’s amazing how much these people care about us and are trying to make us feel like we are at home.

Yesterday, we got out of school early because we didn’t have water on the island. We took full advantage of the fact that we didn’t have water and went swimming and floating in the harbor. We only went outside for about an hour because the sun and so strong and we don’t want to burn. Well my face got a little red. My students asked me multiple times if I was embarrassed today and I was like no why?  Your face is all red. I said that’s what happens when I go out in the sun and they were so confused.

With Love,
Abby




No comments:

Post a Comment